The mission of the Policy Working Group is to enhance the linkage between DOSI science and the formulation of policy related to the deep ocean, both within and beyond national jurisdictions. The Policy Group will build on the policy-related activities of the Deep Ocean Stewardship Initiative across Working Groups and provide connections to external legal entities and instruments. It will maintain a broad perspective across all sectors and themes to ensure efficient communication, coordination, and consistency within DOSI, and enhance the visibility of DOSI efforts on a global scale.
Current Working Group Activities:
- Determine role within DOSI framework
- How will DOSI engage in IOC International Decade of Ocean Science? Statement of support that includes role of social sciences (long vs short term tradeoffs in decision making).
- Need to translate science papers for policy makers and other stakeholders
- Assess what policy makers may need from DOSI community?
- Is there a way to gauge effectiveness? Is there a results framework which could account for DOSI input?
- Explore ECOSOC Status at UN – application status?
- Role at 2018 Our Ocean Conference (USA)
Recent Working Group Activities:
- DOSI briefing to UN delegates in NY 14 June 2018 – Lisa Levin, Verena Tunnicliffe and Kristina Gjerde. Briefing Invitation and UN Deep-Sea Briefing Note. Levin UN Briefing Note. Tunnicliffe UN Briefing Note. Gjerde UN Briefing Note.
- DOSI participation in the UN Oceans Conference, June 2017. DOSI hosted a side-event alongside others (report to follow shortly), submitted Voluntary Committments entitled “Science for deep-ocean sustainability” and delivered an intervention during the conference.
- DOSI Policy Brief submitted to the second meeting of the UN BBNJ PrepCom, August-September 2016
- DOSI input to IPBES draft scoping report of the thematic assessmet of the sustainable use of biodiversity – October 2016
Want to get involved?
If you are interested in participating in this working group, please contact WG Lead: Suzanne Garrett (sgarrett(a)oceanleadership.org)