Many different groups focus on various aspects of deep-ocean stewardship, ranging from intergovernmental panels, to Regional Fisheries Management Organizations, to non-governmental organizations, to state regulatory agencies, industries, various commissions and informal groups. Some have a specific focus (mining, bottom fishing, etc.), while others are more broad-based. There is a need for enhanced communication, coordination and, in some cases, partnerships across these groups. This working group is charged with enhancing communication and understanding among all who have a stake in the deep ocean.
Current Working Group Activities:
1)DOSI website created and managed to give background information and details of all current DOSI activities.
2) Provide a centralized location and mailing list for information about on-going deep-sea stewardship activities across multiple sectors, jurisdictions and disciplines.
3) Creation of a working list of organization and agencies (with contacts) with an interest in issues relevant to deep-sea stewardship.
4) Ensure DOSI visibility in meetings and workshops including holding multidisciplinary sessions on DOSI themes at national and international meetings
5) Engagement with key bodies focused on deep-ocean stewardship such as ISA, UN BBNJ PrepCom, IOC, GOC, GOBI, WOC, IMO etc.
6) Development of a new communications strategy for DOSI